Monday, April 30, 2012

Flowers Galore

4/26
I woke up feeling pretty good, which after wearing giant salonpas patches all over my back I better feel good. Once I got them off and got most of the glue residue off it was time for breakfast. Or not. As soon as I was done getting ready we were out the door to go to the flower festival in Ilsan. Now my b-sister used the term "flower festival" when we were at the arboretum and wasn't sure what to expect with this word-use.

I have to discuss something. I will admit I've never had the best sense of direction. I wouldn't be able to tell you for the life of me which direction I was heading or even the street name. BUT when I'm somewhere new, and I have a map, I DO know how use it. My b-dad has a car with in-dash navigation (and satellite tv which probably adds to the crazy driving skills here). I don't know why he has the navigation because I swear he never uses it. He'll type in where he wants to go, follow it for the first couple of minutes and then miss a turn. He gets a puzzled look on his face like "what did the car do?" After two weeks of this, I am tempted to just drive myself and make them sit in the back. He also tends to not put on his seat belt, so the alarm beeps for at least 2 minutes. Again, he's puzzled at what this sound is.

Anyways, so we get to the festival and it is an actual festival. I'd say similar to the Tulip Festival. Looking at the map, I saw that if you walked the entire thing it's about 3 kilometers. Probably not the smartest idea but do-able. I was feeling pretty good, we were walking at a normal pace looking at all the tulips and roses and such.



And then we got to the exhibition centers. My back was slowly getting more sensitive to movement and this slooooooooow pace was not helping. Once we got outside again I started walking briskly to decrease the pain and of course I got a "Megan, slow. Walk slow." I just told him no-not good, and he sped up. We had lunch which consisted of Kimbap, basically Korea's version of sushi. We took a break watching some traditional drumming group and then this group of teeny-boppers dancing to K-Pop.It was a nice break to sit. K-pop is actually kind of catchy. There are English phrases thrown in like "can't touch this!" or "chitty chitty bang bang". I noticed when we were sitting there I was the only one in a tshirt with the sun out. Like I've said before, they really don't like the sun. I loved it and actually got a "sun burn" according to my parents. They'd say this, and then poke my face. Thankfully it wasn't really a burn or that would be a problem. After the dancing we headed back towards the car and got home. After a few U-turns. 

Once my b-mom got home, my b-dad said to me
"packing?"
"you want me to pack?"
"yes, simple packing?"

This means we're going somewhere just over night. We ended up going to Incheon Beach just in time for sunset. For dinner we had BBQ clams, scallops, and this red thing I'm not sure what it was.



From previous experience I knew more was coming and I started to slow down on the seafood. This is pretty hard to do because my b-mom just keeps putting things on my plate. Cut up of course. I'd tell her no more, she'd eat the next few clams and then put some on my plate again. The noodle dish came out along with the beer. Beer here is like ... Bud-light. It doesn't do a whole lot for me, but my b-parents seem to like it. We got to the hotel, they bought more beer, and seriously started snacking. I was stuffed, beyond stuffed and drinking more beer was bad enough. They tried to tell me that when you drink beer, you eat. Naaaah.

No comments:

Post a Comment